Monday 21 November 2011

Verses


Gotta love when parents come to visit! This past Saturday my dad was in town... which means the perfect time to try out a restaurant that is way out of my price range that I would never have heard of otherwise. Verses Restaurant is located in the Nelligan Hotel in Old Montreal. The website describes it like this: "The finest in French contemporary cuisine. Poetry is brought to mind in the name, in the dishes served, as well as in the subtle yet romantic decor with fireplace, wine cellar and private booths." This description makes it clear that this is one fancy place. So it's a little snooty. All part of the experience! I must admit that I did feel judged by the waiter when i didn't know the Italian name for an obscure root vegetable (had I NEVER been to a shmancy restaurant before?) and just a tad judged by some of the fur-clad customers when I took my coat off myself instead of holding my arms out and letting the hostess do it for me. So maybe this restaurant wasn't what I was used to, but once I was all settled it was a new experience that I thoroughly enjoyed, and could definitely start getting used to. 

I have to say, Verses restaurant (or VERSESRESTAURANT according to the logo) really knows how to do up "class". The waiters, fully in black, effortlessly glide across the floor carrying stacks of dishes. The lighting is so dim around your booth you forget that you are in a large restaurant and that there are others around you. The food comes before you as edible art, and looks almost too pretty to eat. But once you try it, it's so good that you wonder why you have never before tried such an obscure yet perfect combination of foods. We started with foi gras (with a spiced fruit chutney and date and walnut bread) which was a perfect way to get warmed up for the delights to come. Below are the photographs of our main courses, accompanied by the description given on the menu (since they definitely say it right):


Orange glazed and lightly smoked duck breast, served with  grilled spice bread, confit carrots, blackberry sauce












Homemade ravioli stuffed with squash and aged cheddar, topped with black trumpet mushrooms and port reduction.  














If you're parents are around, or you're wheeling someone and want to show them how classy and sophisticated you are, or if you're simply craving some contemporary french food (let's be honest, who isnt always)... then I would definitely recommend trying this restaurant. Linked here is the website, where you can make a reservation online:
http://www.versesrestaurant.com/














1 comment: